Those of us born with or who have developed sensitive skin over time know what a huge frustration it can be. We spend so much time wondering what we should try and if it will even work. We try so many products, many of which, either irritate us or do nothing, and end up feeling like our own guinea pig in the process. Trying to solve the problem of sensitive skin can feel at the very least overwhelming, but there is hope, and there are actionable things we can do to keep our skin calm and balanced.
The best solution for sensitive skin is to change the way you cleanse the skin by developing a proper daily facial routine.
- Be Gentle: Sensitive skin has to be treated kindly with a gentle, loving hand. Do not rub too hard or exfoliate blotchy skin until the skin is calm and evened out.
- Switch from Tap to Distilled Water: We often think of how the products we put on our face affect our skin, but we seldom think of the water. Tap water, while convenient, contains minerals and harsh chemicals. Some of those minerals may be good for the skin, but many others can be very irritating. Distilled water is free of minerals and harsh chemicals and instantly begins to calm the skin.
- Switch from Towels to Cotton Squares: What touches your face matters. Those with sensitive skin should absolutely avoid using towels to dry the face, and of course NEVER use wash cloths on the face. Both are too hard on the skin and the detergent and fabric softener they’re washed in leave a residue of irritants that can aggravate the skin. Instead use ÀTOI 100% Cotton Squares. After your shower wet your Cotton Square with distilled water, wipe the face and allow the skin to air dry. This will help rinse off any tap water and calm the skin.
- Go Fragrance Free: Anyone with sensitive skin should opt for fragrance free detergents. If you have to use fabric softener, use the unscented sheets. Better yet, avoid the fabric softener all together.
- Avoid Acidity: If you’re sensitive skin is prone to redness, make sure you’re limiting your intake of tomatoes, citrus fruits such as oranges and even apples. Too much acidity throws the system of balance and often contributes to sensitivity.
- Drink Alkaline Water: We all know how great drinking water is for the skin, but for irritable skin it’s best to choose and alkaline such as Neo Super Water to balance your body’s PH.
- Find a Calming Cleansing Routine: The best solution for sensitive skin is to change the way you cleanse the skin by developing a proper daily facial routine. We recommend beginning with ÀTOI’s Soothing Milk and Toner to gently but thoroughly cleanse and moisturize. ÀTOI’s Soothing Cleansing Milk gently lifts impurities from the skin while introducing calming ingredients such as Chamomile and Willowherb. Then, ÀTOI’s alcohol free Soothing Toner, hydrates and heals the skin with Honey instead of stripping it with harsh abrasives.
You are unique and so is your skin. If you have more questions or need further guidance finding the best skin care routine to discover your own radiant glow, please don’t hesitate to call 212-929-2182 or email email@example.com. We can and will help you get the exact products for your skin or, if you prefer, you can set up an in person or Skype appointment so we can help you get started.